Sip & Steep: Making Tea at Home
When I think of feeling cozy, I can almost smell the warm cinnamon of a chai tea. For many of us the joy of reading comes with a cup of our favorite tea. No matter your taste of preferences, there is probably a tea just for you! If you have ever wondered what you might like or felt overwhelmed on the tea aisle of your local grocery store, look no further!
Tea is one of the most popular drinks in the world. With an infinity of possible flavors and an especially easy recipe, tea is one of those drinks that appeals to nearly everyone. Whether you prefer sweet iced or a hot tea latte, you have hundreds of options to choose from!
Health in a Cup
Tea has many medicinal properties. From antioxidants to lowering the risk of long term disease, tea is a lower caffeine replacement for coffee and a flavorful way to start the day.
Herbal teas can be soothing as well as aid in sleep and finding a sense of calm. Add honey or lemon to a tea for a cold weather remedy or try steeping tea blends with fruit and herbs to increase the health benefits of your beverage!
Tea Concentrates at Home
This brings us to a fun option for making tea at home. If you crave a rich chai or spice tea latte without heading over to the café you can make an easy and robust tea concentrate at home!
Tea concentrates are just that... very concentrated teas! You can achieve this by steeping several bags together at once for their recommended steep time.
This is best for chai or spice teas. Chai concentrate will make a perfect base for a chai tea latte! Make the tea ahead of time and mix it with your favorite milk when you're ready for a cozy treat!
Ingredients & Tools
- 6 or more Tea Bags or 6+ Scoops of Loose Tea
- 2-3 cups of Boiling Water
- Pot or Bowl for Steeping
- Additional Spices like Cinnamon Sticks!
- Honey, Milk or Sugar to taste (Optional)
To make a Concentrate
- Steep tea over the stove or in a bowl for 5 minutes.
- Remove the bags or tea and pour into container.
- Enjoy immediately with milk or refrigerate for later!
Recipe - Vanilla Chai Tea Latte for 4
- 2 Chai Tea Bags
- 2 Cups of Boiling Water
- 2 Cups of Vanilla Flavored Milk (can be almond, oat or traditional milk!)
- Whipped Cream
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Brown Sugar or Honey to taste
- Steep tea in a container or over the stove for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar or honey to hot tea as desire.
- Combine 1 parts tea to 1 parts vanilla milk in a glass
- Top with whipped cream & serve with a cinnamon stick!
Links and Further Reading: